Friday, February 6, 2009

Hiking Trip Diaries

I started keeping travel diaries around the year 2000. I didn't write much in the first few years but really picked up on the writing a few years ago. Sometimes I might be writing in the comfort of a mountain hut, away from the elements outside. In other times, I find myself wrapped in my down sleeping bag in the tent, jotting down notes with the light from my head-torch.

I find that by writing as much as I can, I am able to capture all the excitement, laughter and drama from each trip. Nowadays, I often find myself reading my old trip diaries in the evening after work, imaging I am back in the Himalayas in Nepal or heading up the steep ridges in the Alpine National Park in deep snow. Of course, how can I forget the Overland Track Expedition in the Winter of 2007.

An added benefit that I hadn't thought of previously is to publish edited versions online. After the epic Overland Track walk in the winter of 2007, the editor of YHA Bushwalking Club's magazine asked me to write a 2-page article on the trip upon hearing what happened. Here is a link to the archived magazine: Yeti Issue 30. My article is somewhere in the middle. Second contribution was published last year, an interview published in Yeti Issue 31.

I intent to keep writing and share all the magical experience with my friends and people with similar interests in exploring the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment